ADS: Gain admission into 200 level in any university of your choice with ease. Admission Is 100% Guaranteed. No Jamb | Low Fees
WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER GO TO UNN ECONOMICS DEPARTMENT FOR YOUR MSC PROGRAMME. IF YOU TRY IT, I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT YOU WILL SPEND MINIMUM OF 4 YEARS AND WILL STILL NOT GRADUATE EXCEPT MIRACLE HAPPENED.
Why You Should Never Go to UNN Economics Department For Your MSc Programme
By John Ibeh
Mr. John Ibeh left this as a comment on this article. We have decided to publish it to give it more exposure.
I want to share a personal experience with you while doing my postgraduate programme (MSC) in the economics department at the University of Nigeria. We are three friends while in my undergraduate, graduated, and finished our Youth Service Corp in 2016. We decided to enroll in our master’s immediately. I enrolled for mine in the UNN economics department, my friend, Kunle enrolled in Unilag, While Kingsley enrolled in the University of Ibadan.
Notice, three of us graduated with cumulative GP of above 4.0 and can boast of being above average student.
The three of us gained admission in the 2017 academic calendar to our respective choice universities to do our Master programme in economics. However, we are not all truly fortunate, fate and different circumstances separated us.
Kunle finished his MSc in economics within one year in Unilag, by end of 2018, he has finished his thesis and by early 2019 has received his certificate of MSc. Kingsley equally finished his MSc in 2018 and by mid-2019, his certificate is ready.
In my experience, I wrote the UNN postgraduate exam and I scored 76 and was admitted. I accepted the offer by paying my acceptance fee, but little did I know I made my worst mistake in academics when I accepted the offer. It took the department of economics six months to start lectures after other departments have started receiving lecture.
I taught that I have seen it all, little did I know that there are lecturers that see themselves as gods that no one questions their actions or inactions. One of such lecturers is the PG coordinator who later became the HOD of the economics department. In my entire life, I have never seen anyone so arrogant, mannerless, and so unprofessional. He is rude, cruel, and not qualified to be in academic not to talk of being a PG coordinator or even HOD where the thing is normal without godfatherism.
Our issue started when one of the students reported the department to PG school about the inconsistency of the lecturers and lackadaisical attitude towards the lecture timetable. He came to class and chase the guy that reported the department to the PG school out of exam hall, shouting and screaming that not even the university authority can question him. He was literally mad that if you are not emotionally strong you will forget all you have read before the exam.
What Amazed me is that the said Dr chased the guy out of the exam hall simply because he wrote a letter to PG school complaining of the lecturers not keeping to the time-table and fixing lectures randomly, yet, nothing was done by the university to remedy the situation after several complaints. THE GUY LOST HIS ADMISSION AND THE FEES HE HAS ALREADY PAID SIMPLY BECAUSE HE COMPLAINED.
The economic department in UNN is so disjointed, disorganized, and lack process worse than the poorest state university in Nigeria. All these issues happened when Dr is the PG coordinator and the worst happened in 2019 when he was made the HOD of the department.
Prior to him being the HOD, the department postgraduate programme was crawling and shaking but when he was appointed the HOD by his cronies (fellow perpetrators) the worst happened. Everything in the department was halted and put on a standstill. As at the time of making this post not even a single person has presented their thesis proposal in my set.
What blew my mind that finally prompt me to make this information public as a warning to those that are considering UNN economic department for their postgraduate is my investigation into the 2016 postgraduate academic set – those before us. My investigation reveals that;
1. Immediately after the Dr became the HOD, the department only had two MSc Seminal proposal and nobody have graduated or finished their MSc under the watch of Dr. Jude including his supervisee.
2. Only one of all the supervisees under him in 2015 (FIVE YEARS OF DOING MASTER) set have proposed and graduated and NONE of his supervisee in 2016 (FOUR YEARS OF DOING MASTER AND NONE OF THEM HAVE GRADUATED AND NONE HAS PROSPECT OF GRADUATING SOON) set have proposed and graduated. What shocked me is that my investigation into the academic records of his supervisee in both 2015 and 2016 set revealed that majority of his supervisee is above average and ideally should have finished their thesis. In particular, he is the only person who NONE of his supervisees have graduated or finished his/her thesis from 2015 and 2016 set despite the academic record of the supervisees showing they are above average except one.
3. I discovered that those students who have graduated from the department are those whose supervisors are willing to tussle it out with him and ensure their supervisee is released but that changed anyway since he became the ALMIGHTY HOD.
4. I discovered that Dr made a covenant that he will frustrate all his supervisee and all PG students because he was delayed by his own supervisor while he was doing his Ph.D. programmes.
5. I discovered that it would take the fastest student with a good supervisor (from 2017 academic calendar) till the end of 2021 (5 years) to finish their MSc in UNN going by the trend of things. I discovered also that it will eventually take some till 2024 (8 years) to finish their MSc in UNN especially those he is supervising.
6. For me, I have enrolled for another MSc in the University of Lagos (UNILAG) since 2020 and am confident I will obtain my MSc before the fastest person in UNN 2017 set. WHAT AN ACADEMIC SHAME. I believe ASUU and the PG school should be ashamed of themselves because these are part of the things they should be checkmating to protect the students and their image.
WHY YOU WILL BE FOOLISH TO GO AND ENROLL FOR MASTER’S IN ECONOMICS DEPARTMENT AT UNN FOR 2020/2021 ACADEMIC SESSION.
a. I interviewed 20 persons doing their MSc currently at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) from both the 2016 and 2017 academic sessions and all the 20 persons regretted enrolling for their MSc in UNN.
b. The said Dr is still the HOD and PG coordinator even after one year of being appointed as the HOD he is still the PG coordinator (both HOD and PG coordinator you can go and verify).
c. The worst that can happen to you is that he is assigned to be your supervisor. If you find yourself in such a position, you will be a FOOL after this warning to go ahead and accept the offer. You will have yourself to blame.
d. More than 50 percent of the lecturers at UNN are not dedicated to their work and don’t respect time. They are simply not cultured at all and feel like they are gods. Yes, few of them are good and sound but they are simply not CULTURED.
e. The management of PG school in UNN doesn’t care about student complaints. In fact, the management is aware of what is happening in UNN and has failed to do anything about it. We have recordings and videos of where the Dr is ranting and threatening students with brimstone and fire and the management failed to act.
f. UNN economics department is not in any way better than those other fast universities like UNILAG, University of Ibadan, ABU, UNIBEN, UNIPORT, among others. They are only living in past glory. If you doubt any information here go and investigate the information released here, I challenge the authority to investigate the claims in this article.
I also challenge CBN not to continue using the economics department UNN as an extension for their postgraduate economics programmes. They can use other universities in the East. I challenge the Central Bank of Nigeria to investigate the issue also.
DO NOT SAY I DIDN’T WARN YOU. IF I CAN PAY TWO SCHOOL FEES IN UNN AND HAD 9 A’S AND 2 B’S IN THE 11 COURSE I OFFERED IN UNN TO ABANDONED IT FOR ANOTHER SCHOOL, YOU SHOULD KNOW AM SERIOUS WITH MY WARNING.