It is compulsory for every citizen and a legal resident of Nigeria to enroll for the National Identification Number. Therefore, this article will focus on How to Apply for NIN in Nigeria and obtain the Card as well.
Before we delve into it. Please note, as a candidate who is planning to register for the 2020/2021 UTME (JAMB), it is compulsory for you to own a National Identification Number, otherwise known as NIN.
A quick notice: All citizens and legal residents in Nigeria, from the time of birth (age zero) and above, are eligible to enroll for their NINs.
What is NIN?
National Identification Number (NIN) consists of 11 non-intelligible numbers which are randomly chosen and assigned to an individual after the completion of enrolment into the National Identity Database (NIDB).
Once a National Identification Number is assigned to an individual, it can never be reassigned to another person. It is uniquely your until the time of death.
In the case of the demise of an individual, his/her NIN is retired once a death certificate is presented to the Commission and the individual’s death is established.
How do I Apply for NIN in Nigeria?
National Identification Number Enrollment consists of the recording of an individual’s demographic data and capture of the ten (10) fingerprints, head-to-shoulder facial picture and digital signature, which are all used to cross-check existing data in the National Identity Database to confirm that there is no previous entry of the same data.
It is very important that you apply on the NIMC Pre Enrolment Portal and follows the process as defined for applying for NIN.
Please note that applicants in requirement of assistance with Enrolment Form have an option to visit the Enrolment Centre where they will be assisted by a Support Officer to correctly fill the Enrolment Form with the required information.
NIN – What You Need to Know
Walk into the nearest NIMC Enrolment Centre with your BVN if you have one and any of the following required Original and Valid supporting documents:
- Old National ID Card
- Driver’s License
- Voter’s card (Temporary or Permanent)
- Nigerian International passport
- Certificate of Origin
- Attestation letter from a prominent ruler in your community
- Birth certificate
- Declaration of age
- Attestation letter from religious/traditional leader
- NHIS ID card
- Government staff ID card
- Registered/recognized private organization staff ID card
- School ID Card (private/public)
- Tax Clearance certificate
- Valid immigration documents
Fill up the pre-enrolment form online, download and print Pre Enrolment Slip
- Fill the NIMC Pre Enrolment online form by visiting Pre Enrolment Portal
- All the mandatory fields need to be completely filled with correct information.
- Download and print your Pre Enrolment Slip
Submit Your Application
- Walk into the nearest NIMC Registration Centre with any one of the following Original and Valid supporting documents.
- At Enrolment Center you will be directed to a counter where our Enrolment Officer will verify the presence and compliance of all details of your application.
- If your application is in order, the Enrolment Officer will guide you to proceed with the capture of biometrics (ten fingerprints and facial image) and you will collect the Transaction ID Slip as evidence of the transaction.
- Applicants who cannot read nor write should be accompanied by a literate individual who can do the form filling for him/her.
- Minor applicants should be accompanied by parents/guardians who can do the form filling for them.
- Minor applicants should only bring an original and valid birth certificate and NIN slip of one of the Nigerian Parent / Guardian.
- The normal time frame for issuance of National Identification Number (NIN) Slip is 2 to 3 working days from the time the biometric details are captured at enrolment centers.
- The issuance of NIN may take longer in certain cases due to the validation of details at NIMC. VFS has no role to play to expedite such cases.
- The Transaction ID Slip is required to be stored carefully by applicant as it is required to be presented at the time of collection of NIN Slip indicating completion of enrolment