THE Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics has been on strike for almost a year now, and this will affect candidates who wrote Jamb 2014/2015 Examination.
We are all aware that The Academic Staff Union Of Polytechnics, (ASUP) embarked on strike since October, 2013 to protest the failure of the Federal Government to resume the re-negotiation of an agreement its signed with the union in 2009, which expired in the month of July, 2012.
The Unionist, (ASUP) is demanding the implementation of CONTISS 15 Migration for the lower cadres in the polytechnics and the release of the White Paper on the visitations to federal polytechnics more than one year after the exercise, as well as the failure of the federal government to commence a Needs Assessment for Nigerian polytechnics.
Also, ASUP demand an end to the HND/B.Sc dichotomy.
The indefinite strike embarked upon by ASUP, which is over 10 months now have wiped off both the first and second semester academic calender.
The question being asked are;
* Will polytechnic admit students in the 2014/2015 Session?
* When will the newly admitted students commence academic activities?.
* Now what is going to happen to the students that were admitted in 2013/2014 academic session?
* When will F.G and the ASUP/lecturers resume dialogue and resolve the impasse by making compromises on both sides?
These questions and many others are begging for answers. (We don’t have the answers, and who will answer them?)
No doubt, the 11-month old indefinite strike embarked upon by ASUP have it’s own Negative effect on returning student and prospective student as well.
Negative effects of ASUP Strike for Returning and Prospective Students
* The strike will create an unhealthy school calender and will also increase the year of study.
* Candidate that will be offered admission in the 2014/2015 session will have to wait for many months before resumption will be effective. (That is, if the strike will be called off soon.)
Luckily, few polytechnics has pulled out of the Asup Strike and you can find out if yours is among them at www.nigeriaschool.com.ng/asup
Please share this news with our friends on twitter and Facebook.